Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Naked Bum Run

Abby has just turned 4, and it's amazing the difference in attitude between 3 and 4. Most of the temper tantrums have ceased and I can explain things to her and she helps me all the time. But, every once in awhile we have a day where I swear she's reverted back. The last two days have been major temper tantrum days. Due mostly to her little brother who turns on the light at night and keeps her up. She needs a lot more sleep at night than he does and she hasn't been getting it. It shows. Which reminded me of my favorite temper tantrum about 5 weeks ago. She was out playing with the neighbors and I warned her that she had about 15 minutes before we had to go change for dance. It's been cooler with the fall weather and the kids weren't used to the change yet. They all wanted to set up the slip-n-slide. I told her she could, but that she didn't have time to change into her swimsuit. I told her to just get her clothes wet and then we would change into dance clothes. Well, that didn't fly apparantly. She asked 2-3 more times to change and I kept saying no, not only because of the time restraint but because William was taking a nap in that room, and he had been out of control. Finally, while I'm talking to a the neighbor kids mommy, Abby disappeared. I noticed after a few minutes and yelled for her and she didn't appear. I yelled again, no show. So I went to investigate. To my surprise (I know, you all aren't surprised) she was butt-naked and hiding behind a playhouse so I couldn't see her. I asked her to put her clothes on and go inside. It was time to change anyway. But it was two major blows. She didn't want her clothes on and she didn't want to go inside. She lost it, big time. So, I started to put her clothes on for her. I managed to get her underwear most of the way up, but I couldn't bend all the way down to her, and she was hysterical. She suddenly jumped up and started running (there's no way I was even going to try to catch her at 6 months pregnant).  But the funniest part was that Abby never stopped to finish pulling up her underwear. She just made a mad naked dash around the house. I was laughing so hard I just let her run, I figured she would come back. And she did emerge on the other side of the house and had somehow magically managed to pull her underwear all the way up. So, I don't know how much of the neighborhood she flashed before she ended up on the swingset, still hysterical. But, it took me a few minutes to stop laughing so that I could finish disciplining. Hence the name, the naked bum run. Must have felt nice in that nice cool fall air!

No comments: